The above workshop was held on 19th and 20th of January 2017 at MRI and concluded successfully. This is the 2nd workshop on the same subject organized by the SLCM following the first one in 2014.
Fifty four Medical Officers and Nurses from the following private sector hospitals in Colombo and outside participated.
- Hemas Hospitals – Wattala, Thalawathugoda, Galle
- Ninewells Care Mother and Baby Hospital, Colombo
- Dr. Neville Fernando Teaching Hospital, Malabe
- Roseth Hospital, Colombo
- Ruhunu Hospital, Galle
- Durdans Hospital, Colombo
- Asiri Central Hospital, Colombo
- Asiri Medical Hospital, Colombo
- Asiri Surgical Hospital, Colombo
- Asiri Hospital, Matara
- Lanka Hospital, Colombo
- Royal Hospital, Colombo
- Asia Hospital, Maharagama
- Nawaloka Hospital, Colombo
- Co-operative Hospital, Galle
They were very enthusiastic and pointed out the importance of conducting this type of work regularly to improve continuous medical education. In light of the positive feedback SLCM hopes to carry on this activity annually.
During the 2 day workshop the following topics were covered .
- Healthcare Associated Infections and its importance in patient care provision –Dr. Geethika patabendige , Consultant Microbiologist - NHSL
- Sterilization and disinfection of instruments in healthcare setting –Dr. Sujatha Pathirage, Consultant Microbiologist - MRI
- Standard precautions and isolation of patients –Dr. Roshan Jayasuriya - Consultant Microbiologist - NIHS
- Hand hygiene – importance and when and how to do? – Lecture and practice session- Dr. Mahen Kothalawala- Consultant Microbiologist –TH Kandy
- Clinical governance, Audits , Surveillance and Quality indicators in infection control- Dr. Kushlani Jayatilleke - Consultant Microbiologist - SJGH
- Prevention of device associated infections and bundle approaches –Dr. Dhammika Vidanagama - Consultant Microbiologist - NPTCCD
- Prevention of surgical site infections-including theatre guidelines and rituals –Dr. Shirani Chandrasiri- Consultant Microbiologist - CSTH
- Waste management in hospitals - Dr. Samanmalee Gunasekara - Consultant Microbiologist - NCIM
- Management of accidental exposure to blood and body fluids and occupational health – Dr. Jayanthi Elwitigala - Consultant Microbiologist - NSACP
The President and the Council of SLCM extend their deep gratitude to all the resource persons and everyone who helped in many ways to make this workshop a success.
Dr. Thushari Dissanayake